February 3, 2018 10:04:57 PM
The Mississippi Secretary of State's office published a list of late candidates and office-holders, including two from Starkville, who were late to file campaign finance reports on Friday.
The deadline for campaign finance reports was 5 p.m. Wednesday.
Former District 38 Rep. Tyrone Ellis (D-Starkville) and District 38 Candidate Lisa Wynn are both listed as having filed late reports.
Wynn unsuccessfully sought Ellis' seat, losing to current District 38 Rep. Cheikh Taylor (D-Starkville). Wynn said she will file her termination report on Monday. Ellis did not seek re-election, and retired from his seat in the summer. He also said he'll file his report next week.
Secretary of State spokesperson Leah Rupp-Smith said the report includes former candidates or office holders because they have to close out accounts with termination reports.
"Any candidate that has a balance has to zero out that account and file a termination report," Smith said. "That's why you see a lot of names on the list who are past candidates or past office holders."
1. DJ pleads guilty to 2015 shooting at Heidi Ho COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Columbus resident arrested for possession of child pornography COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Ex-Columbus HS teacher found guilty of soliciting student for sex COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Paying dividends: West Lowndes students earn big returns in Stock Market Game COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Starkville settles Pride lawsuit STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY