February 7, 2018 10:49:24 AM
The Stephen D. Lee Foundation will hold its annual gala at 7 p.m. Tuesday, Feb. 13, at the home of Martha Kirkley in Columbus. This year's event will be an early celebration of Valentine's Day and an elaborate celebration of Mardi Gras.
Eulalie Davis, chairman of the foundation, explained that Valentine's Day falls on Ash Wednesday. The foundation board felt it would be inappropriate to have the fundraiser that day. She promised the Mardi Gras theme will be prevalent throughout the house and will provide even more fun for guests.
Davis said, "The Kirkley home is fabulous without one flower in it, but it will be a feast for all the senses once Betty Waters, Judy Livingston, Debbie Jenkins and Frances Hairston work their magic with lush flowers and fabulous decorations."
The dining room table will be laden with chocolate, lemon and coconut cakes. Other delicacies from some of the best cooks in Columbus will be served throughout the house. Lee Home docents will serve as hostesses. Participants can drop in or spend the entire evening enjoying the company, food and flowers.
This year's party is especially important as the Lee Foundation is in the process of replacing the entire roof of the Stephen D. Lee Home, located at 316 Seventh St. N., as well as repairing brickwork along the perimeter of the roof.
Davis said, "We are literally asking our guests to put a roof over our heads. We are particularly grateful to Mrs. Kirkley for opening her magnificent home to us."
For more information about tickets for the event, contact Davis at 662-328-3088.
For more information about the Lee Home, call 662-327-8888 or find it on Facebook.
1. Three finalists announced for CMSD superintendent spot COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Columbus man to spend 35 years in MDOC for 2015 club shooting COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Ex-Columbus-Lowndes Airport manager arrested for embezzlement COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Three finalists picked for CMSD superintendent job COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Ex-Columbus HS teacher found guilty of soliciting student for sex COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY