Columbus police blocked all streets entering the 300 block of 12th Street North Sunday. A man was hospitalized Sunday night after he apparently tried to make fireworks in his home. Photo by: Deanna Robinson/Dispatch Staff
March 5, 2018 9:56:20 AM
A Columbus man was hospitalized Sunday night after he apparently tried to make fireworks in his own living room.
First responders with Columbus Police Department and Columbus Fire and Rescue responded to a call about a chemical injury at a home on 12th Street North at about 7:30 p.m., city spokesperson Joe Dillon said. The 27-year-old victim was taken to Baptist Memorial Hospital-Golden Triangle with non life-threatening chemical burns to his stomach, Dillon said.
The man apparently was working with fireworks' chemicals when some of the material caught fire, causing the burns. Two other people in the residence drove the victim to Baptist Memorial Hospital-Golden Triangle.
Columbus officials called in the Tupelo Police Department Bomb Squad for help searching the residence for hazardous materials. CPD Chief Fred Shelton said the Tupelo agents removed a "small amount of fireworks chemicals," according to a CPD press release.
Both Shelton and CFR Public Information Officer Anthony Colom confirmed there was never a fire in the residence, and Shelton added there was no danger to the public.
CPD is investigating the case. No charges have been filed at this time.
1. Sticking together: Triplets coming to MSU together after brother's acceptance to ACCESS program STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
2. Monday profile: Local antique shop owner offers wisdom on helping others COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Suspect nabbed for harassing phone calls to business COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Retail Coach to update council on progress COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Man arrested for allegedly shooting into a dwelling COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY