March 13, 2018 10:37:14 AM
A Crawford man faces domestic assault and arson charges after a Saturday morning altercation with his mother, according to Lowndes County Sheriff's Office Capt. Greg Wright.
Wright said LCSO deputies responded to a call at 5:07 a.m. Saturday from a woman who said she had been assaulted by her son, who investigators identified as Travis Weatherspoon, 37, of 68 Farmers Market Road in Crawford.
The woman said her son arrived at her home in Crawford, demanding money. When she refused, the victim said her son hit her with both his open hand and fist. After falling, the woman said her son kicked her in the shoulder, then carried a knife into a bedroom where he went to sleep .
After her son fell asleep, the victim left her residence and went to a home in Artesia, where she called LCSO.
LCSO deputies took the woman's statement, then assembled at a convenience store on Farmer's Market Road to set up a staging point. As they were there, Weatherspoon approached with his hands up and surrendered to deputies.
Soon thereafter, a citizen stopped to inform the deputies of a house-trailer that was on fire nearby. Deputies arrived at the scene, which was the mother's residence, to find it on fire and used fire extinguishers and a water hose to fight the flames until the Lowndes County Fire Department arrived on the scene to extinguish the fire.
Weatherspoon was charged with domestic violence and arson and is being held without bond at the Lowndes County Adult Detention Center.
1. Cracker Barrel employee shot at restaurant COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Man charged with aggravated assault for shooting in Cracker Barrel COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Cracker Barrel shooting suspect captured in Tennessee COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. SPD arrests two for burglaries, drug trafficking STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
5. Developer finalizes purchase of Lee Middle property COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY