April 14, 2018 7:53:28 PM
The contents of this article have been modified since its original posting.
A Columbus Police Department officer is on administrative leave without pay after being detained for questioning by West Point police after allegations of soliciting a minor, according to Columbus city sources.
A press release CPD issued Friday afternoon said CPD Police Chief Fred Shelton put the officer on administrative leave, effective immediately, and the city council will consider further disciplining the officer during executive session of its meeting Tuesday evening.
The officer, according to the release, was detained for actions that reportedly happened while he was off duty.
Multiple Columbus city sources told The Dispatch an Officer Jethrow is the subject of the investigation. Jethrow's full name was not available by press time as city administrative offices are closed on Friday and over the weekend.
West Point Police Chief Avery Cook failed to return multiple calls and messages from The Dispatch Friday and Saturday. When contacted, West Point Mayor Robbie Robinson and Chief Administrative Officer Randy Jones both said they knew no details of the investigation or its status.
The Dispatch could not confirm whether the officer was arrested.
CPD officials declined offer specifics on the incident. Columbus Police Chief Fred Shelton said CPD is not involved in the investigation but is fully cooperating with WPPD.
"Since this is a personnel matter, we will not be releasing any details on the charges or the officer involved," Shelton said in the release. "This is an ongoing criminal investigation that is being conducted completely by the West Point Police Department."
1. Sticking together: Triplets coming to MSU together after brother's acceptance to ACCESS program STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
2. Monday profile: Local antique shop owner offers wisdom on helping others COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Suspect nabbed for harassing phone calls to business COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Retail Coach to update council on progress COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Man arrested for allegedly shooting into a dwelling COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY