April 17, 2018 10:41:37 AM
A Columbus man is in police custody and three more were hospitalized with non life-threatening injuries after a shooting in east Columbus Monday night.
Deoantray Malik Thompkins, 20, of 121 Deerfield Drive, has been charged with three counts of aggravated assault after police arrested him Monday night less than a mile from the scene the shooting, which occurred on Deerfield Drive at about 6:30 p.m.
Another individual taken into custody was questioned and released without being charged.
Two people were taken to Baptist Memorial Hospital-Golden Triangle with injuries from the shooting, while a third victim arrived about an hour later, according to a Columbus Police Department press release. All three have been treated and released. Investigators believe the victims and suspect knew each other.
Investigators have not said whether Thompkins opened fire from inside the vehicle, but they believe the first two victims were standing outside the vehicle when the shooting occurred, the press release said. They believe the third victim was at the same scene.
"We got an accurate description of the vehicle believed to be involved, and officers stopped that car within minutes of the shooting," CPD Chief Fred Shelton said. "We are thankful for accurate and fast reporting of the incident to 911 from witnesses and the 911 immediate dispatch to our officers in the field."
Thompkins' bond has not been set.
1. Two arrested for capital murder in weekend homicide COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. CAFB parents jailed for neglect of 7-week-old child COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Lowndes County sportsplex gets green light COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Capital murder suspects denied bond COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. CLW weighs offering phone, internet service COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY