May 15, 2018 10:56:28 AM
The contents of this article have been modified since its original posting.
A Columbus man has pleaded guilty to second-degree murder for a 2016 shooting in east Columbus.
Leronn Gregory, 26, was sentenced to 40 years in Mississippi Department of Corrections, with 30 to serve and 10 years suspended, in Lowndes County Circuit Court Monday morning, District Attorney Scott Colom said.
Arrested in January 2016, Gregory was charged with the murder of 25-year-old Brandon Michael Gordon.
Gordon was shot Jan. 3, 2016, between Florence and Beech streets, according to previous reports from The Dispatch. He called 911 dispatchers and emergency responders found him in a backyard on Beech Street. He was taken to Baptist Memorial Hospital-Golden Triangle where he later died.
Gregory was arrested the next day.
Colom said Gregory and Gordon were at odds over text messages Gregory had sent to a member of Gordon's family.
"The vast majority of (Gregory's) adulthood will be in prison," Colom said. "So by killing Brandon Gordon, not only did he take Brandon from his family and friends, but he also took himself away from his family and friends by deciding to kill him over something very senseless. The one redeeming indication is that he decided to accept responsibility for the murder and pleaded guilty and based on that, I was willing to suspend 10 years and have him serve 30 years."
Colom also expressed gratitude to the Columbus Police Department for its investigation and to Gordon's family for their patience during the case.
Gregory's attorney, Steve Wallace, declined to comment when his office was contacted by The Dispatch.
1. SPD: Shooting victim in stable condition STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
2. Problem solver: LINK intern spends summer developing research-based guide for Golden Triangle COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Cashing in on life's lemons: Inaugural Lemonade Day in Starkville draws young entrepreneurs from across area STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
4. Trial set for house parent accused of sexual battery COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Person injured in reported accidental shooting COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY