May 19, 2018 10:03:21 PM
Columbus was voted number 6 in the Best Small Town Cultural Scene category of USA Today's Readers' Choice travel award contest.
Columbus was one of 20 small towns nominated by an panel to contend in the four-week contest, according to a Columbus-Lowndes Convention and Visitors Bureau' press release. During that time, the public had the opportunity to vote once a day for their top choice. Columbus consistently ranked among the top 10 before securing the spot at number 6 on the list. Nominees in this category all have a population of less than 30,000. Readers made their choices based on cultural offerings of the nominated cities, including museums, art galleries, performing arts and special events.
"Visit Columbus is honored to win a coveted spot on this list, and is grateful for the many voters who helped our city win this distinguished award" said CVB executive director Nancy Carpenter.
1. SPD: Shooting victim in stable condition STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
2. Problem solver: LINK intern spends summer developing research-based guide for Golden Triangle COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Cashing in on life's lemons: Inaugural Lemonade Day in Starkville draws young entrepreneurs from across area STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
4. Person injured in reported accidental shooting COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Photos: Sturgis Bike Rally STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY