June 10, 2010 11:08:00 AM
STARKVILLE -- The American Red Cross of Oktibbeha County is offering a baby sitter''s training course Friday at the organization''s chapter office in Starkville.
Participants will be trained how to care for infants and children; distinguish between life-threatening and less serious emergencies; feed children at different age levels; perform first aid (and CPR in the optional enhanced class); learn personal safety techniques and how to interview with prospective employers. Each participant also will receive a baby sitter CD with activities, checklists and business card templates, along with a Red Cross baby sitter pin and T-shirt.
The cost of the program is $25. It lasts Friday from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Lunch will be provided.
Participants must be 11 to 15 years of age.
"Baby sitter''s training gives young adults the ability to take on the responsibility of a job and the training they need to act in an emergency," Oktibbeha County Red Cross Director Becky Wilkes said in a release. "These are valuable skills for youth looking for jobs this summer. It also provides peace of mind for parents to know their children are in the care of a Red Cross-trained baby sitter."
For more information or to register for Friday''s training course, call 662-323-4621, or stop by the office at 100 Felix Long Drive.
1. Columbus man dies in head-on crash COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Lowndes supes OK budget with deficit, tax increase COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Area students check out college options COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Aldermen pass amended alcohol ordinance STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
5. Princess owner plans to reopen theater COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY