June 4, 2018 10:25:45 AM
A man was taken to OCH Regional Medical Center with minor injuries early Monday morning after he crossed the Lowndes-Oktibbeha line fleeing from law enforcement.
Markedric K. Bell, 19, was one of several individuals reportedly attempting to drag race on Airport Road in western Lowndes County shortly after 1 a.m. According to a Lowndes County Sheriff's Office report, a deputy found them and they all fled the scene. A deputy pursued Bell onto Highway 82 West. The pursuit continued into Oktibbeha County onto Hickory Grove Road where Bell lost control of the vehicle and crashed.
Bell was taken to the hospital for complaints of his neck hurting, authorities said.
Bell faces several misdemeanor traffic violations, failure to yield to blue lights. He may face felony charges, LCSO Capt. Greg Wright said.
None of the other subjects have been taken into custody.
1. Two arrested for capital murder in weekend homicide COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. CAFB parents jailed for neglect of 7-week-old child COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Lowndes County sportsplex gets green light COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. CLW weighs offering phone, internet service COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Capital murder suspects denied bond COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY