June 7, 2018 11:11:32 AM
A Starkville man is in jail after being accused of having sex with an 11-year-old.
Starkville Police Department arrested 18-year-old Marcus Campbell on Tuesday for a sexual battery incident that occurred at the end of March.
On Wednesday, during Campbell's initial appearance in municipal court, SPD Sgt. William Durr said the incident occurred on March 31 at an apartment at 135 Sand Road. Durr testified that Campbell engaged in sexual penetration with the 11-year-old female victim.
Last week, Durr said, SPD got a report from the victim's family that someone had had sex with her. On Monday, the department conducted a forensic interview with the victim, who gave details and named Campbell.
SPD further questioned a witness, Durr said, who picked Campbell out of a line-up and said the incident was arranged through text messages.
Durr said Campbell verified the information to police when questioned, and that he further admitted he believed the victim to be 12-13 years old.
Municipal judge Rodney Faver set Campbell's bond at $25,000. He is currently being held in the Oktibbeha County Jail.
1. Two arrested for capital murder in weekend homicide COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. CAFB parents jailed for neglect of 7-week-old child COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Lowndes County sportsplex gets green light COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. CLW weighs offering phone, internet service COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Capital murder suspects denied bond COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY