June 14, 2010 10:53:00 AM
The Bernard Romans Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution will help the Columbus Municipal School District celebrate Flag Day today at the CMSD board''s monthly meeting.
Members of the local DAR chapter will be on hand at the meeting, which begins at 6 p.m. at the Columbus Municipal Complex, to present the board and Columbus High School 117 American flags and mounting kits to put an American flag in every classroom at CHS.
The Bernard Romans Chapter of DAR is non-profit, non-political volunteer women''s service organization dedicated to promoting patriotism, preserving American history and securing America''s future through better education for children. It received support for the CHS Flag Project from The American Legion Post 69, Columbus Kiwanis, Northwood Garden Club and Walmart.
The CMSD will also be recognized by the State Auditor''s Office for "achievement in financial reporting for the year ended June 30, 2009."
Other business to be handled at tonight''s meeting includes:
1. Convictions for police officer defendants rare COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. New Columbus Arts Council director looks for more long-term donations COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Fireworks on the Water set for July 1 COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. The Book of Joe: LINK CEO Higgins enlists ghostwriter to work on book project COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Phelps retiring from OCEMA, constable positions STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY