July 30, 2018 9:57:51 AM
Starkville police are now formally investigating the whereabouts of a missing Starkville man after a missing person report was filed with the department over the weekend.
SPD Public Information Officer Brandon Lovelady confirmed the department received a missing person report for 24-year-old Jarrel Ward Saturday night. Ward, according to the report, has been missing since Thursday morning.
Ward is a black male, and reported to be about six feet, one inch tall and weigh about 185 pounds.
Ward's family initially contacted Columbus Police Department on Friday. CPD Chief Fred Shelton previously told The Dispatch that Ward was last reported as being seen at the Donut Factory on Highway 45 in Columbus. He also said CPD encouraged the family to file a missing person report with SPD because he is from Starkville.
Lovelady said SPD expects to provide updates on the case later Monday.
"We received a report Saturday evening and are actively investigating a missing person," he said. "We would like to stress the importance of not spreading rumors or false information. If you have any information, please contact law enforcement."
Joe Dillon, public information officer for the city of Columbus, said CPD had no new developments to report on the search for Ward.
Anyone with information on Ward's whereabouts can contact SPD at 662-323-4134 or CPD at 662-244-3500.
1. Surrendering animals: A pet owner's last resort COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Man killed in weekend hit-and-run on Hwy 373 COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Columbus-Lowndes Airport searches for new operator after the last one stalls COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. LCSD Career Tech students do mock interviews with real employers COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Hamilton man arrested for carjacking COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY