September 18, 2018 10:45:20 AM
The contents of this article have been modified since its original posting.
A Lowndes County man is dead after his mobile home caught fire Monday afternoon.
Coroner Greg Merchant confirmed to The Dispatch that Tommy Lee Hall, 68, died in his home.
Lowndes County authorities responded to the fire at Shaw's Mobile Homes off Highway 373 south of Columbus Air Force Base. The call came in just before 4 p.m.
Hall was pronounced dead at the scene.
While Merchant has not officially ruled on Hall's cause of death, he said it was either thermal injuries or health problems caused or aggravated by the fire such as a heart attack. Merchant has ruled out smoke inhalation.
He added the fire stayed mainly contained to where Hall was and didn't totally engulf the mobile home.
Lowndes County Sheriff's Office Chief Deputy Marc Miley confirmed Lowndes authorities responded to the scene but they do not believe the fire was criminal in nature.
1. Burkhalter Rigging files bankruptcy COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. CPD investigator faces discipline for misusing resources COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Hotel death suspect pleads guilty to manslaughter COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Slime dunk: MSU center McCowan teaches Starkville children how to make slime at Emerson STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
5. Three candidates vying for Lowndes chancery clerk COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY