July 20, 2010 9:33:00 AM
SHUQUALAK -- A Shuqualak uncle was arrested Monday for allegedly shooting at his niece and nephew.
Dwight Hagood, 57, of 5949 Shuqualak Road in Shuqualak, was arrested by Noxubee County Sheriff''s Office Chief Deputy Terry Grassaree after his niece and nephew said he shot at them. Hagood denies he shot at his relatives, but they claim he fired several shots over a property dispute. The niece and nephew apparently live near Hagood and he demanded they move.
Grassaree was on the scene within 10 minutes of receiving the emergency call and found the relatives hiding behind a truck on the street. He called Hagood to tell him he was coming and Hagood told him to "come on up."
Grassaree says he found Hagood sitting in his living room and arrested him without incident. He recovered a .22-caliber rifle and two shotguns.
Hagood is charged with possession of a weapon by a convicted felon and five counts of threatening. He is being held in the Noxubee County Jail on $10,000 bond.
Hagood is on probation in Lawrence County, Ala., for distributing and trafficking a controlled substance.
Despite having a lengthy criminal record, Grassaree says Hagood has never caused problems in Noxubee County. Hagood is the owner of C&K convenience store in Noxubee County.
1. McDill, popular artist and craftsman, dies at 33 COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Boykin files federal suit against Columbus COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Downtown shooting injures one COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Columbus child struck by vehicle COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Stansbury looks to jettison lake lease STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY