July 28, 2010 1:30:00 PM
Navistar plans to cut approximately 340 employees from its West Point plant by next week, according to the manufacturer.
Navistar spokesperson Elissa Koc confirmed today the majority of the 500-employee staff would be released as an order for 1,050 MaxxPro Mine Resistant Ambush Protected, or MRAP, vehicles nears completion in the coming days.
"It''s likely all (layoffs) will occur this week and next week," said Koc.
Navistar received the MRAP order from the U.S. Marine Corps in February and rehired former staff through Express Personnel to begin production in March. Navistar retains multiple contracts, and Koc says employees may be rehired if new contracts are secured.
mississippian commented at 7/28/2010 8:03:00 PM:
Shabby business practice to rehire former employees though Express Personnel. They should have direct hired them back and gave the employees the money instead of Express Personnel getting paid.
charliebrown commented at 7/29/2010 12:41:00 AM:
I understand the company not being able to keep the whole workforce there if they don't have the contracts but I do feel for the employees. Hang in there!
kmp commented at 7/29/2010 1:59:00 PM:
I am a spouce of a Navistar employee through Express. It sucks having to wonder when or if your spouce is going to get laid off. Work six months, laid off six months, work six months.... That does not make a stable job. But with the economy like it is, it is hard to find any other jobs, therefor being forced to work like this! We make due with what we have and our lives go on, but we wish things would be stable!
1. Convictions for police officer defendants rare COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. New Columbus Arts Council director looks for more long-term donations COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. The Book of Joe: LINK CEO Higgins enlists ghostwriter to work on book project COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Officials respond to voting concerns at Union precinct COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Columbus police nab one suspect, search for another in Saturday armed robbery COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY