March 19, 2009
A man and a juvenile are behind bars after a firefighter foiled the apparent burglary of a fire station, according to reports from the Columbus Police Department
Zerrick Taylor of Columbus and an unidentified juvenile accomplice were arrested Tuesday afternoon by the CPD. Firefighter Mark Ward of Fire Station 1 in downtown Columbus flagged down CPD officer David Hunt and told him he saw two black males coming out of the fire station as he was pulling into the building.
Ward stated he saw two city-owned laptops on the floor. Ward confronted the two and they took off running. Hunt tracked down the pair and transported them back to the fire station where Ward positively identified them as the two he had encountered. The juvenile was transferred to the Juvenile Detention Center and charged with felony attempted grand larceny. Taylor was transferred to the Lowndes County Adult Detention Center. Nothing was found missing from the fire station. The case remains under investigation. Taylor''s bond has been set at $1,500.
The following other people were arrested on felony charges, according to reports released from the Lowndes County Sheriff''s Office:
n Warren Dickerson, 53, of 1514 Martin Luther King Drive in Columbus, was arrested by the LCSO Wednesday. He was charged with one count of misdemeanor possession of marijuana and one count of felony possession of cocaine.
1. Spears: CMSD tax hike unnecessary COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Over 25 arrested on drug-related charges COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. CPD officer involved in fight to go before city council COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Man arrested after attack at Palmer Home COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. CMSD expected to tap reserves rather than raise taxes COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY