March 23, 2009
A teen who lost her life in a car wreck March 15 will be remembered by friends and family during a memorial service at her former school.
Jennifer Jackson died early that Sunday morning after a one-vehicle traffic accident in Lowndes County.
A memorial service will be held in her honor Tuesday at 1 p.m. at Lee Middle School.
Counselors and local ministers will be on hand today to talk with students as needed.
Jackson, 14, was killed when she was ejected from a 2007 Mazda traveling on Highway 69, near the First Colony housing development, according to Lowndes County Coroner Greg Merchant.
Jackson, he said, was a front-seat passenger and was not wearing a seat belt.
Officials did not reveal the name of the driver or other passengers.
The accident still is under investigation by the Mississippi Highway Patrol; MHP officials said the accident occurred about 12:40 a.m. Sunday and five others were transported to Baptist Memorial Hospital-Golden Triangle with non-life threatening injuries.
1. Four have qualified for Dist. 17 seat COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Columbus man arrested for Friday shooting COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. West Nile case confirmed in Lowndes COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Child dies in morning blaze COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Wal-Mart Markets opening in Miss. BUSINESS