March 24, 2009
A young Columbus man had to be airlifted to a Tupelo hospital this morning after a single-car accident.
At 8:06 a.m., the Columbus Police Department responded to an area about 50 feet north of Rebecca Lane near North McCrary.
Melvin Summerville Jr., 18, of Columbus apparently lost control of the 1998 Ford F-150 pick-up truck he was driving and crashed into a tree.
Emergency responders had to cut Summerville out of the truck. He was then transported to an area on Cal Kolola Road where a helicopter took him to North Mississippi Medical Center in Tupelo.
"It''s pretty serious for them to do that," said CPD Lt. Oscar Lewis. "I''ve been with the force 10 years and never seen them do that."
Late this morning, Summerville was being checked out at the NMMC emergency room and was in stable condition.
kimbery commented at 3/28/2009 9:24:00 AM:
I just want to say Thank God he was okay, I know this young man personally, and Its only by the grace of God that he made it out..I know that God has a work for this young man, and I pray that he will heed the calling. To the Family..Keep Praying because I know you are.
1. Child dies in morning blaze COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Four have qualified for Dist. 17 seat COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Columbus man arrested for Friday shooting COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. West Nile case confirmed in Lowndes COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Wal-Mart Markets opening in Miss. BUSINESS