September 23, 2010 11:42:00 AM
The Noxubee County Republican Women and Executive Committee are hosting a barbecue to welcome Mississippi 3rd District Rep. Gregg Harper to the Macon-Noxubee County Civic Center on Monday.
Harper will be on hand for about an hour, and the event is free and open to the public.
"This is a big deal. Our congressmen have had so little time and they got called back into session, so we''re just absolutely excited over there," said Mary Allsup, a member of the Noxubee County Republican Women and chairwoman for the county''s Republican Executive Committee.
The event starts at 11:30 a.m. at the Civic Center at 16291 Highway 45 in Macon.
For more information, call Allsup at 662-726-4481.
Harper faces Democrat Joel Gill in the November election.
The two faced each other in a town-hall style question-and-answer session in Starkville, earlier this month. Sid Salter, Clarion-Ledger editor/columnist and "Super Talk Radio" personality, was moderator.
In addition to Noxubee and Oktibbeha counties, the 3rd District includes Adams, Amite, Covington, Franklin, Hinds, Jasper, Jeff Davis, Jones County, Kemper County, Lauderdale County, Lawrence County, Leake County, Lincoln County, Madison, Marion, Neshoba County, Newton County, Pike, Rankin County, Scott, Simpson, Smith, Walthall, Webster, Wilkinson and Winston counties.
The state currently is divided into four congressional districts, which is based on population.
1. Lee Middle deal possibly a month away COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Innovation Challenge gives young entrepreneurs a head start STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
3. CAFB air show reduced to one day COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. The view from above: Flights offer insight into Wings Over Columbus acts COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Photos: Super Bulldog Weekend STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY