September 23, 2010 11:42:00 AM
The Noxubee County Republican Women and Executive Committee are hosting a barbecue to welcome Mississippi 3rd District Rep. Gregg Harper to the Macon-Noxubee County Civic Center on Monday.
Harper will be on hand for about an hour, and the event is free and open to the public.
"This is a big deal. Our congressmen have had so little time and they got called back into session, so we''re just absolutely excited over there," said Mary Allsup, a member of the Noxubee County Republican Women and chairwoman for the county''s Republican Executive Committee.
The event starts at 11:30 a.m. at the Civic Center at 16291 Highway 45 in Macon.
For more information, call Allsup at 662-726-4481.
Harper faces Democrat Joel Gill in the November election.
The two faced each other in a town-hall style question-and-answer session in Starkville, earlier this month. Sid Salter, Clarion-Ledger editor/columnist and "Super Talk Radio" personality, was moderator.
In addition to Noxubee and Oktibbeha counties, the 3rd District includes Adams, Amite, Covington, Franklin, Hinds, Jasper, Jeff Davis, Jones County, Kemper County, Lauderdale County, Lawrence County, Leake County, Lincoln County, Madison, Marion, Neshoba County, Newton County, Pike, Rankin County, Scott, Simpson, Smith, Walthall, Webster, Wilkinson and Winston counties.
The state currently is divided into four congressional districts, which is based on population.
1. Woman dies after parking lot shooting in Columbus COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Father of parking lot shooting victim speaks out COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Teen arrested and charged with capital murder, arson COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Columbus, Starkville ranked among state's most exciting cities COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Mayor, city employee raises rescinded COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY