October 1, 2010 11:49:00 AM
Starkville Mayor Parker Wiseman today will designate October as Reconciliation Month in the city of Starkville.
At 3 p.m. in City Hall, Wiseman will present a signed proclamation to Mission Mississippi President Neddie Winters which designates October as Reconciliation Month in Starkville. Mission Mississippi is a Christian organization which promotes reconciliation and harmony among races.
"The future of our city is tied to our ability to bridge racial divides and live harmoniously as one people," Wiseman said Thursday. "In honoring Reconciliation Day, we''ll take a moment to recognize the significance of that mission."
Mission Mississippi has designated October as Racial Reconciliation and Unity Month for the past 17 years in an effort to promote peace among different races and enhance and improve the lives of all citizens of the state of Mississippi, according to a statement released by the organization. During the month of October, Mission Mississippi encourages Mississippians to participate in Reconciliation Month by planning an activity with someone of another race, organizing a joint worship service with a church of a different race, scheduling a member of the Mission Mississippi team to speak at church and by attending the 2010 Reconciliation Celebration Banquet, "Facing Our Challenges and Casting the Vision" Oct. 28 in Jackson.
"Reconciliation means to settle or resolve," said Mission Mississippi board of directors chairman David Landrum. "What I love about Mission Mississippi is that it is an effort for Mississippi to come together and work together to help take our state to another level."
For more information about Racial Reconciliation Month and other upcoming Mission Mississippi events, call 601-353-6477 or visit www.missionmississippi.org.
1. Starkville Police to open new offices June 30 STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
2. Some of state's brightest return to Governor's School to invest in Mississippi's future COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Suspects lead police on chase through two counties COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. County pushes city to relax Cornerstone regulations STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
5. Childhood home of noted Disney animator, painter Joshua Meador is on the market COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY