October 6, 2010 12:01:00 PM
Beginning later this month, the Starkville Parks and Recreation Department will offer Zumba classes at the Sportsplex on Lynn Lane.
The six-week class begins Oct. 26 and will take place every Tuesday and Thursday from 5 p.m. to 5:45 p.m. To attend the class once a week will cost $60, while the price to attend twice a week will be $90.
Starkville Parks and Recreation Department program director Lisa Cox said the recent popularity of Zumba, a Latin-inspired fitness class which ties in music, dancing and aerobics, led to the formation of classes at the Sportsplex.
"A lot of people have been asking for it," Cox said.
Gale Cook, a certified Zumba instructor, will teach the classes. She is encouraging people of all ages to sign up for the classes, regardless of ability level.
"When you go to these classes, you see people coming in and they''re smiling, happy and joyous, and they leave happy," Cook said. "I have attended Pilates classes, step aerobics, spinning, and out of all the classes I''ve attended, this is the one class I''ve seen where people go in happy and they come out happy."
For more information or to register for the class, call the Parks and Recreation Department at 662-323-2294. The Sportsplex is located at 405 Lynn Lane, Starkville.
1. The Mill: 'It's really coming together' STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
2. Man dies after Saturday shooting in Holly Hills COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Allgood, Colom face off for DA COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Mullen receives pay bump, extension STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
5. Historic Friendship Cemetery is still open for business COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY