October 14, 2010 12:01:00 PM
A 24-year-old man has been charged with vehicular manslaughter after flipping his car on a gravel road in Lowndes County, killing his 25-year-old front-seat passenger.
Bobby Lee Shane Nabors, of Columbus, died when Lamarcus Davis, of 205 Lawrence Drive, crashed a 2002 Chevrolet Impala at about 6:30 p.m. on Christian Circle off Highway 69, said County Coroner Greg Merchant.
Davis and a second passenger initially fled the scene, said sheriff''s Deputy Eli Perrigin. The passenger was questioned and released.
The defendant faces charges of DUI vehicular manslaughter and was scheduled to appear in court today for his arraignment.
Although a cause of death has not been established, Merchant said Nabors was not wearing a seat belt and had head trauma that was apparently caused in the wreck.
The crash was still under investigation Thursday morning, said Perrigin. The Mississippi Highway Patrol is expected to reconstruct the accident, as is standard in fatal wrecks.
1. Dog gives his life protecting child from rattlesnake COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. 2 dead in Oktibbeha County car crash STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
3. MSU blue-chip guard popped for DUI STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
4. CPD welcomes 11 new officers to force COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Reclaiming the past: Local businessman making living selling salvaged material for new construction COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY