October 14, 2010 12:01:00 PM
A 24-year-old man has been charged with vehicular manslaughter after flipping his car on a gravel road in Lowndes County, killing his 25-year-old front-seat passenger.
Bobby Lee Shane Nabors, of Columbus, died when Lamarcus Davis, of 205 Lawrence Drive, crashed a 2002 Chevrolet Impala at about 6:30 p.m. on Christian Circle off Highway 69, said County Coroner Greg Merchant.
Davis and a second passenger initially fled the scene, said sheriff''s Deputy Eli Perrigin. The passenger was questioned and released.
The defendant faces charges of DUI vehicular manslaughter and was scheduled to appear in court today for his arraignment.
Although a cause of death has not been established, Merchant said Nabors was not wearing a seat belt and had head trauma that was apparently caused in the wreck.
The crash was still under investigation Thursday morning, said Perrigin. The Mississippi Highway Patrol is expected to reconstruct the accident, as is standard in fatal wrecks.
1. Convictions for police officer defendants rare COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. New Columbus Arts Council director looks for more long-term donations COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. The Book of Joe: LINK CEO Higgins enlists ghostwriter to work on book project COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Columbus police nab one suspect, search for another in Saturday armed robbery COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Officials respond to voting concerns at Union precinct COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY