October 14, 2010 12:01:00 PM
A 24-year-old man has been charged with vehicular manslaughter after flipping his car on a gravel road in Lowndes County, killing his 25-year-old front-seat passenger.
Bobby Lee Shane Nabors, of Columbus, died when Lamarcus Davis, of 205 Lawrence Drive, crashed a 2002 Chevrolet Impala at about 6:30 p.m. on Christian Circle off Highway 69, said County Coroner Greg Merchant.
Davis and a second passenger initially fled the scene, said sheriff''s Deputy Eli Perrigin. The passenger was questioned and released.
The defendant faces charges of DUI vehicular manslaughter and was scheduled to appear in court today for his arraignment.
Although a cause of death has not been established, Merchant said Nabors was not wearing a seat belt and had head trauma that was apparently caused in the wreck.
The crash was still under investigation Thursday morning, said Perrigin. The Mississippi Highway Patrol is expected to reconstruct the accident, as is standard in fatal wrecks.
1. The Mill: 'It's really coming together' STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
2. Man dies after Saturday shooting in Holly Hills COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Allgood, Colom face off for DA COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Columbus council expected to make two CMSD board appointments COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Oktibbeha elections set as last-minute qualifiers enter races STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY