November 11, 2010 10:12:00 AM
A 26-year-old Columbus man wanted for an August robbery and kidnapping was arrested today in Memphis, Tenn., according to police.
Lavento Shamon Fox, of 1624 Fourth Ave. S., is accused of breaking into a house in the 1500 block of 13th Avenue North at about 3 p.m. Aug. 16.
Police say Fox and another man, both masked, pulled handguns and demanded "everything" the two victims had, including one victim''s car keys.
After a brief scuffle, one victim escaped and called police while the other was put in the trunk of his 2003 Honda Acura with his mouth taped, police say. The kidnapping victim was able to escape after loosening his bonds and pulling the vehicle''s trunk release.
One of the victim''s identified Fox, who is also wanted for missing a court hearing on a charge of failure to obey a police officer.
It could be several days before Fox is extradited back to Lowndes County, said police Public Information Officer Terrie Songer.
Fox is currently being held in the Shelby County, Tenn., jail on a charge of being a fugitive from justice without a warrant.
He was apparently staying at 4381 Flairwood Drive, according to Shelby County court records.
The suspect, along with his brother, Sugi Fox, has a long history of run-ins with the police. He has been arrested for burglary, possession of a weapon by a felon, and possession of cocaine.
Sugi Fox was arrested in June after helping Lavento Fox escape authorities, who wanted him for a contempt of court charge.
1. Starkville Police to open new offices June 30 STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
2. Some of state's brightest return to Governor's School to invest in Mississippi's future COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Suspects lead police on chase through two counties COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. County pushes city to relax Cornerstone regulations STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
5. Childhood home of noted Disney animator, painter Joshua Meador is on the market COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY