November 15, 2010 10:47:00 AM
A 31-year-old man died early Saturday when his brother''s apartment caught fire, according to the Columbus Fire Department.
Firefighters found a deceased Tavaris Barrett at 1112 Sixth Ave. N. at about 5 a.m., shortly after fire was reported at the one-story converted house.
Barrett was temporarily staying at the apartment, which was one of five in the large, wood-frame house, a battalion chief said.
The state fire marshal was called in to determine the cause and origin or the fire, which is still under investigation. Columbus Fire Marshal Todd Weathers was out of town at the time of the incident.
No one else was reported injured at the scene.
1. 30-plus employers to recruit at job fair COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Would-be CPD officer popped for DUI, other charges COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Deputies seek man who wielded AR-15 rifle at park COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Granting excellence STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
5. Mickens takes on ex-opponent during town hall COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY