November 15, 2010 10:47:00 AM
A 31-year-old man died early Saturday when his brother''s apartment caught fire, according to the Columbus Fire Department.
Firefighters found a deceased Tavaris Barrett at 1112 Sixth Ave. N. at about 5 a.m., shortly after fire was reported at the one-story converted house.
Barrett was temporarily staying at the apartment, which was one of five in the large, wood-frame house, a battalion chief said.
The state fire marshal was called in to determine the cause and origin or the fire, which is still under investigation. Columbus Fire Marshal Todd Weathers was out of town at the time of the incident.
No one else was reported injured at the scene.
1. Convictions for police officer defendants rare COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. New Columbus Arts Council director looks for more long-term donations COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Fireworks on the Water set for July 1 COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. The Book of Joe: LINK CEO Higgins enlists ghostwriter to work on book project COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Phelps retiring from OCEMA, constable positions STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY