November 15, 2010 10:47:00 AM
A 31-year-old man died early Saturday when his brother''s apartment caught fire, according to the Columbus Fire Department.
Firefighters found a deceased Tavaris Barrett at 1112 Sixth Ave. N. at about 5 a.m., shortly after fire was reported at the one-story converted house.
Barrett was temporarily staying at the apartment, which was one of five in the large, wood-frame house, a battalion chief said.
The state fire marshal was called in to determine the cause and origin or the fire, which is still under investigation. Columbus Fire Marshal Todd Weathers was out of town at the time of the incident.
No one else was reported injured at the scene.
1. Cattleman's: Open for business COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Benefit for father-son crash victims this weekend COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Columbus remembers Jimmy Garton, a man of many titles COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Demonstration school seeks statewide impact STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
5. Romney speaks at MSU, still undeclared for 2016 STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY