November 26, 2010 12:12:00 PM
A bridge on Sixteenth Section Road will be closed for at least a portion of next week as construction crews extend the structure and stabilize it in the wake of recent erosion problems.
Ground below the bridge, located 1/2 mile north of East Oktibbeha Elementary School, has washed out in recent weeks, so crews will begin work on the two-lane, roughly 40-foot-long span Monday or Tuesday, District 2 Supervisor Orlando Trainer said. The bridge will be extended and crews will drive new pilings and replace existing supports, among other things.
"We definitely don''t want anybody falling in there," Trainer said.
Trainer expects the bridge to be closed three to five days and is urging drivers to use Osborn Road as a detour. The work is projected to cost $27,000 to $28,000, Trainer said.
1. Eagles flourish in Golden Triangle COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Inaugural MUW Symposium plays to overflow crowds, rave reviews COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Superintendent candidates see great potential in SOCSD STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
4. Chism cries foul on Senate BP money bill COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Man pleads guilty to robbing railroad worker COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY