December 2, 2010 12:17:00 PM
A 43-year-old Columbus caregiver pleaded guilty in Lowndes County circuit court Monday to stealing Social Security checks over a two-year period.
Godiva Fox, of 1306 Fifth St. S., took and cashed the social security checks of her male patient, denying him access to the funds, according to the Attorney General''s Office.
She also stopped adequately providing food for the victim and his mother, who were both related to her, said AGO spokeswoman Jan Schaefer.
The crimes took place between May 1, 2007, and Dec. 31, 2007, and between Feb. 1, 2008 and Dec. 1, 2008, Schaefer said.
Sixteenth District Judge Lee Howard sentenced Fox to five years probation on two counts of exploitation of a vulnerable person. He also ordered her to pay $12,628 in restitution to the victim and fined her $1,000.
1. CAFB pilots released from hospital after crash COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Five arrested in suspected fraud operation COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Three finalists announced for CMSD superintendent spot COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Ex-Columbus-Lowndes Airport manager arrested for embezzlement COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Starkville could settle Pride lawsuit this week STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY