December 2, 2010 12:17:00 PM
A 43-year-old Columbus caregiver pleaded guilty in Lowndes County circuit court Monday to stealing Social Security checks over a two-year period.
Godiva Fox, of 1306 Fifth St. S., took and cashed the social security checks of her male patient, denying him access to the funds, according to the Attorney General''s Office.
She also stopped adequately providing food for the victim and his mother, who were both related to her, said AGO spokeswoman Jan Schaefer.
The crimes took place between May 1, 2007, and Dec. 31, 2007, and between Feb. 1, 2008 and Dec. 1, 2008, Schaefer said.
Sixteenth District Judge Lee Howard sentenced Fox to five years probation on two counts of exploitation of a vulnerable person. He also ordered her to pay $12,628 in restitution to the victim and fined her $1,000.
1. Armyworms ravaging yards, pastures COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Holloway convicted on simple assault charges STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
3. Golden Triangle native asks for children's books to restock Baton Rouge library COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Missing Starkville woman returns home STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
5. Property re-appraisals show stability in real estate market COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY