December 2, 2010 12:17:00 PM
A 43-year-old Columbus caregiver pleaded guilty in Lowndes County circuit court Monday to stealing Social Security checks over a two-year period.
Godiva Fox, of 1306 Fifth St. S., took and cashed the social security checks of her male patient, denying him access to the funds, according to the Attorney General''s Office.
She also stopped adequately providing food for the victim and his mother, who were both related to her, said AGO spokeswoman Jan Schaefer.
The crimes took place between May 1, 2007, and Dec. 31, 2007, and between Feb. 1, 2008 and Dec. 1, 2008, Schaefer said.
Sixteenth District Judge Lee Howard sentenced Fox to five years probation on two counts of exploitation of a vulnerable person. He also ordered her to pay $12,628 in restitution to the victim and fined her $1,000.
1. Business booms for Starkville startup Glo STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
2. New Hope kids take robot to world competition COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Neal withdraws from Starkville's Ward 5 race STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
4. Mayoral forum to be held at MUW COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Lost and found: Woman learns value of social media in finding lost pets COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY