December 3, 2010 11:56:00 AM
RIPLEY - A Tippah County sheriff''s deputy was shot and killed Friday, and a man has been charged in his death.
Sheriff''s investigator Jason Willis said Deputy Dewayne Crenshaw was fatally wounded about 4 a.m. while responding to a disturbance call with other deputies in Ripley.
Willis identified the suspected shooter as 26-year-old Franklin Fitzpatrick of Pontotoc.
Jon Kalahar, spokesman for the Mississippi Department of Public Safety, said Fitzpatrick has been charged with capital murder. Kalahar said the Mississippi Bureau of Investigation is handling the investigation.
Officials have released few details and said Fitzpatrick is being held in an unidentified jail in another county.
Willis said Crenshaw, 62, had been a patrolman for seven years and had previously worked in the jail. Crenshaw''s son also works at the jail.
Tippah County is in north Mississippi near the Tennessee border.
1. Historic Columbus depot has a buyer COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. CAFB instructor killed in Texas crash COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. CMSD board buys new books COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Woman gets prison for MUW embezzlement COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. A year in, is J5 Broaddus saving Columbus money? COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY