December 8, 2010 10:20:00 AM
BILOXI - A gray and white cat has been reunited with its Mississippi family, five years after wandering away when their home lacked electricity after Hurricane Katrina.
The Humane Society of South Mississippi says Scrub was identified by an implanted microchip. The 7-year-old cat was brought to the shelter by a Gulfport woman who''d fed him as a stray the past couple of months but worried about him during a cold snap.
Scrub''s owner, Jennifer Noble, tells The Sun Herald she thought the Humane Society had the wrong cat when a worker left a message last week.
The woman who''d been feeding him lives about 15 miles from the Noble family.
Noble says Scrub is in excellent condition, other than a small chunk missing from one ear and a scar on the other.
1. 3 die in Lowndes County crash COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. No-jangles: Starkville Bojangles closes STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
3. Jurors hear 911 tape as Quinn murder trial begins STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
4. Hickman begins his first day as Columbus schools superintendent COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Photo: No fuel, no rocket COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY