December 14, 2010 4:03:00 PM
STARKVILLE - A Mississippi State University student who fell down a flight of stairs late last week at a party in the Cotton District died Monday night in Tupelo.
David Lyons, 22, of Ocean Springs, fell about six feet down some stairs during the early morning hours of Dec. 10 at a residence on Planter''s Row. He was transported to OCH Regional Medical Center, then flown to North Mississippi Medical Center in Tupelo for his injuries.
Lyons died Monday around 9:30 p.m. of closed head trauma, said Oktibbeha County Coroner Michael Hunt, to whom the case was referred by Lee County Coroner Carolyn Gillentine. Hunt said he will not know whether alcohol played a role in the fall until all toxicology tests are complete.
Lyons was a President''s Scholar this spring in the College of Arts and Sciences at Mississippi State. Students on the president''s list have achieved a 3.8 or better grade-point average.
1. Ex-employee threatens shooting at Zaxby's COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. In his DNA: Shepherd plays key role in cold case arrest COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Oktibbeha County's chancery candidates preparing for nonpartisan race STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
4. Gavin: Poor schools stunt city's growth COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Volunteers host local arts bazaar in Starkville Sunday STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY