December 14, 2010 4:03:00 PM
STARKVILLE - A Mississippi State University student who fell down a flight of stairs late last week at a party in the Cotton District died Monday night in Tupelo.
David Lyons, 22, of Ocean Springs, fell about six feet down some stairs during the early morning hours of Dec. 10 at a residence on Planter''s Row. He was transported to OCH Regional Medical Center, then flown to North Mississippi Medical Center in Tupelo for his injuries.
Lyons died Monday around 9:30 p.m. of closed head trauma, said Oktibbeha County Coroner Michael Hunt, to whom the case was referred by Lee County Coroner Carolyn Gillentine. Hunt said he will not know whether alcohol played a role in the fall until all toxicology tests are complete.
Lyons was a President''s Scholar this spring in the College of Arts and Sciences at Mississippi State. Students on the president''s list have achieved a 3.8 or better grade-point average.
1. Cracker Barrel employee shot at restaurant COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. MSU alum, convenience store owner gives away Rally Bananas to MSU fans in Omaha STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
3. CMSD board approves sale of Lee Middle property COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Cracker Barrel shooting suspect captured in Tennessee COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Prather named interim CEO for Partnership STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY