December 21, 2010 2:59:00 PM
STARKVILLE -- A 12-year-old Oktibbeha County boy is in surgery this afternoon after he accidentally shot himself in Clayton Village.
According to Oktibbeha County Sheriff Dolph Bryan, the boy and his 9-year-old brother were home alone on Cannon Road today at around 11:30 a.m. when the pair took out a loaded .410-gauge shotgun. The 12-year-old, whom the Sheriff''s Office is not identifying because he is a juvenile, then dropped the shotgun and it went off, Bryan said. The shot hit the boy in his hand and his abdomen.
Bryan described the boy''s injuries as "pretty bad." He was in surgery at OCH Regional Medical Center as of 2:30 p.m., Bryan said.
1. Gregory resigns from Partnership leadership position STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
2. Columbus police department prepares house of horrors COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Leroy Brooks pushes county pay raises COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Are ghosts haunting the Golden Triangle? COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Starkville organizers readying annual Pumpkinpalooza STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY