December 21, 2010 2:59:00 PM
STARKVILLE -- A 12-year-old Oktibbeha County boy is in surgery this afternoon after he accidentally shot himself in Clayton Village.
According to Oktibbeha County Sheriff Dolph Bryan, the boy and his 9-year-old brother were home alone on Cannon Road today at around 11:30 a.m. when the pair took out a loaded .410-gauge shotgun. The 12-year-old, whom the Sheriff''s Office is not identifying because he is a juvenile, then dropped the shotgun and it went off, Bryan said. The shot hit the boy in his hand and his abdomen.
Bryan described the boy''s injuries as "pretty bad." He was in surgery at OCH Regional Medical Center as of 2:30 p.m., Bryan said.
1. Holloway convicted on simple assault charges STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
2. Armyworms ravaging yards, pastures COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Golden Triangle native asks for children's books to restock Baton Rouge library COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. SPD searching for missing woman STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
5. Property re-appraisals show stability in real estate market COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY