January 7, 2011 12:25:00 PM
TUPELO - The National Weather Service says up to 8 inches of snow could fall in north Mississippi and Alabama with light flurries further south beginning Sunday.
The National Weather Service in Memphis says there is more than a 70 percent chance for from 5-8 inches of snow in north Mississippi beginning Sunday, with 80 percent Sunday night and 50 percent on Monday during the day.
With the snowfall, there is also a chance of sleet, which has the Mississippi Department of Transportation and local officials preparing freezing conditions on roadways.
Entergy Mississippi says crews will also be ready to deal with any possible power outages.
Rain is in the forecast for south Mississippi with rain and sleet in central counties.
In Alabama, forecasters said the storm could leave a 2-4 inch blanket of snow across north and central Alabama and a dusting elsewhere, along with the possibility of freezing rain.
The National Weather Service reported Friday that a significant snowfall late Sunday and Monday is possible across Alabama''s Tennessee Valley, with accumulations of maybe two to four inches. But the track and timing of the wintry system remained uncertain.
The mix of snow and freezing rain in central Alabama is expected to last through Monday night.
1. Story of Columbus teen on death row airs on Headline News COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. A house to love: The Haven, historic downtown home, passes to new ownership COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Future of Ryan's uncertain COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Restaurant tax: Smith, Younger agree on reducing restaurant tax floor COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. SFD investigating Walmart fire as arson STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY