January 7, 2011 12:25:00 PM
TUPELO - The National Weather Service says up to 8 inches of snow could fall in north Mississippi and Alabama with light flurries further south beginning Sunday.
The National Weather Service in Memphis says there is more than a 70 percent chance for from 5-8 inches of snow in north Mississippi beginning Sunday, with 80 percent Sunday night and 50 percent on Monday during the day.
With the snowfall, there is also a chance of sleet, which has the Mississippi Department of Transportation and local officials preparing freezing conditions on roadways.
Entergy Mississippi says crews will also be ready to deal with any possible power outages.
Rain is in the forecast for south Mississippi with rain and sleet in central counties.
In Alabama, forecasters said the storm could leave a 2-4 inch blanket of snow across north and central Alabama and a dusting elsewhere, along with the possibility of freezing rain.
The National Weather Service reported Friday that a significant snowfall late Sunday and Monday is possible across Alabama''s Tennessee Valley, with accumulations of maybe two to four inches. But the track and timing of the wintry system remained uncertain.
The mix of snow and freezing rain in central Alabama is expected to last through Monday night.
1. Father of woman charged with providing New Hope teen alcohol speaks out COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Hilton: Hospital report filled with misleading data STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
3. Charlie Burgin, local singing legend, dies at age 69 COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. City hires public defender for Municipal Court COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Columbus honors four outstanding citizens COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY