January 21, 2011 10:27:00 AM
A Columbus man suspected in a Northside shooting turned himself into authorities Thursday.
Mark James, 24, of 46 Cavern Drive, surrendered himself at the Columbus Police Department along with the handgun supposedly involved in a shooting on 14th Avenue North.
Police received a call at 10:22 a.m. Thursday of shots fired near a beauty shop located at 2117 14th Ave. N. The alleged victim, Xavier Armstead, 29, of 1425 23rd St. N., claims James fired at him after the two exchanged words.
Armstead''s nose had been broken Jan. 15 in an altercation at the Grey Goose nightclub. He claims James was somehow involved.
Armstead was walking to a store on 14th Avenue when he encountered James and the shooting ensued.
Police found two shell casings near the beauty shop, but witnesses heard three shots.
James is charged with attempted aggravated assault.
1. Inmate dies at Lowndes County jail COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Brown picks former SHS teacher for recognition STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
3. Slimantics: 110-year-old poster a memento of legendary MSU-Ole Miss game COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Feeding the needy: Food drives lend helping hand for Thanksgiving COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Restaurant tax: CVB offers compromise on 2-percent tax COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY