January 21, 2011 10:27:00 AM
A Columbus man suspected in a Northside shooting turned himself into authorities Thursday.
Mark James, 24, of 46 Cavern Drive, surrendered himself at the Columbus Police Department along with the handgun supposedly involved in a shooting on 14th Avenue North.
Police received a call at 10:22 a.m. Thursday of shots fired near a beauty shop located at 2117 14th Ave. N. The alleged victim, Xavier Armstead, 29, of 1425 23rd St. N., claims James fired at him after the two exchanged words.
Armstead''s nose had been broken Jan. 15 in an altercation at the Grey Goose nightclub. He claims James was somehow involved.
Armstead was walking to a store on 14th Avenue when he encountered James and the shooting ensued.
Police found two shell casings near the beauty shop, but witnesses heard three shots.
James is charged with attempted aggravated assault.
1. McDill, popular artist and craftsman, dies at 33 COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. UPDATE: Boykin files suit against Columbus COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Downtown shooting injures one COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. CPD honors life-saving officers COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Turner responds to lawsuit claims COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY