January 22, 2011 9:53:00 PM
A bar room brawl ended with a shooting Friday night.
Crystal Bowen-Davis, 33, of 1970 Westbrook Road in Caledonia, was charged with aggravated assault for shooting James Ross Beams, 32, of 7224 Highway 182 E. in Columbus, during a huge fight at the Quarter Bar on Highway 69.
Witnesses told Columbus police Davis was bartending at the Quarter when a fight involving multiple men and women broke out shortly after 11 p.m. Davis allegedly retreated to a back room and retrieved a .45 caliber handgun.
She made her way to the billiards area where the fight was taking place and shot Beams in the shoulder. The bullet passed through Beams'' shoulder and he is reportedly in stable condition after being treated at Baptist Memorial Hospital.
As of Saturday afternoon, CPD investigators were still attempting to determine why Davis shot Beams. Witnesses reported the bar''s owner may have been involved in the fight, which may have played into the shooting. But police said witness accounts were inconclusive.
Davis remains in custody at the Lowndes County Adult Detention Center.
In an unrelated incident, the Lowndes County Sheriff''s Office responded to an assault on Lehmberg Road around 2 a.m. Saturday morning.
India Smith, age and address unknown, was charged with aggravated assault for attacking Raven Patman with a baseball bat at the car wash next to Country Air Apartments.
Patman was treated at Baptist Memorial Hospital where a CAT scan revealed multiple fractures to the bones in her face.
The attack followed a verbal altercation but few details were available.
1. Wiggins wins Caledonia by one vote COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. House built by and for freed slaves for sale in Columbus COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Two arrested for child endangerment in marijuana bust COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Second Baptist deacons to release offering to trustees, finance committee STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
5. Person shot in home invasion on Tabernacle Road COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY