January 26, 2011 9:09:00 AM
JACKSON - Regional banker Trustmark Corp. says it nearly doubled its fourth-quarter profit from a year ago as the company recorded declines in bad loans and cut its exposure to Florida real estate problems.
For the three months ending Dec. 31, Jackson-based Trustmark earned $25.2 million, or 23 cents per share, compared with year-ago earnings in the fourth quarter of $13.9 million, or 23 cents per share, a year ago.
Trustmark had 4.8 million more outstanding shares in the latest quarter. A year ago, the company paid $10 million in preferred stock dividends and discounts.
During the latest quarter, Trustmark said nonperforming loans fell 10.3 percent, while nonperforming assets dropped 5.9 percent.
1. Sturgis man arrested for attacking females STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
2. Motorcycle wreck claims Lowndes man COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Police identify armed robbery suspect COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Groomed for the moment: MSU student fulfills childhood dream to be Miss Mississippi STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
5. Gaining a seat at the table: Bulldog Bytes STEM camp encourages girls to pursue computer science COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY