January 28, 2011 10:22:00 AM
A Mississippi State University student was charged with first-degree arson Tuesday after he allegedly set a bulletin board on fire in Cresswell Hall.
The fire took place on the fourth floor of the residence hall on the south side of campus at about 7:15 p.m. Tuesday. Cresswell Hall was evacuated and MSU Housing and Residence Life staff worked quickly to put out the blaze. No injuries were reported.
"It didn''t do much damage, but there was a lot of smoke, so we had to evacuate," MSU Police Chief Georgia Lindley said.
Police charged 18-year-old Robert Cruthirds, of Gulfport, with first-degree arson. He was released on $10,000 bond.
Cruthirds also faces disciplinary action from the Mississippi State Dean of Students office. Attempts to reach Dean of Students Thomas Bourgeois this morning were unsuccessful.
1. Lowndes Narcotics Unit searching for 10 suspects COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. The accidental entrepreneurs STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
3. Two arrested in Motel 6 robbery COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Starkville man arrested for statutory rape COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. First Vote: A Dispatch special series COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY