February 2, 2011 10:30:00 AM
CALEDONIA -- Aldermen voted Tuesday to advertise two new positions on the town''s payroll: a maintenance employee and a concession stand manager.
Both employees will work at Ola J. Pickett Park, the maintenance employee on upkeep of the fields at $8.50 per hour and the concessions manager at the stand for $200 a month.
For more information, including how to apply, contact the town clerk, Judy Whitcomb, at 356-9122.
In other business, aldermen voted to authorize Mayor George Gerhart to sign a petition to the Public Service Commission for a change in the water rate system.
The decision was the next step to change the town water billing system to offset the cost of a new water treatment plant and well.
Aldermen had voted Dec. 21 to have the town attorney, Jeff Smith, draw up the petition to charge residents in and outside the town a minimum of $7.25 for up to 1,000 gallons per month, then an additional $7.25 per 1,000 gallons used.
The current billing system has in-town residents paying $12 and outsiders paying $14 for up to 2,000 gallons or water, then an additional fee per gallon.
The town has yet to set a public hearing to gauge public opinion of the proposal.
If approved, the change could bring in an additional $959,000 or so per year, about $1,000 more than the annual projected operating cost of the water department after completion of the new well and treatment system.
mscampers commented at 2/4/2011 1:05:00 PM:
While I understand costs are ever increasing and the new well and treatment plant must be funded, my calculation is this increase is a 40% increase at one time. This seems to be an excessive increase in water pricing.
1. Public wants inclusion in Starkville's comprehensive planning process STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
2. Judge: Closed council gatherings in Columbus broke Open Meetings Act COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Man sentenced to 5 years after Lowndes Co. DUI COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. MSU fans travel in large numbers to SEC tourney STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
5. CPD makes grand larceny, burglary arrests COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY