The government shutdown entered its second week with no end in sight and ominous signs that the United States was closer to the first default in the nation's history as Speaker John Boehner ruled out any measure to boost borrowing authority without concessions from President Barack Obama.
Funds set aside by the state for a Lowndes County road can be put to use now that the county can acquire an easement needed to proceed with improving the road.
They are out there now, those pieces of stray cotton crowding the edges of some Golden Triangle roads. For decades, around this time of year when farmers head into fields to harvest, cotton has been roadside scenery in Mississippi.
Increased Greater Starkville Development Partnership revenues will help pay for more advertising and marketing, a tool CEO Jennifer Gregory says directly impacts tourism and out-of-town spending in Starkville.
The Pentagon is ordering most of its approximately 400,000 furloughed civilian employees back to work.
1. McDill, popular artist and craftsman, dies at 33 COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Boykin files federal suit against Columbus COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Downtown shooting injures one COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Columbus child struck by vehicle COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Stansbury looks to jettison lake lease STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY