Mississippi had the highest share of its residents in poverty: 22 percent
Columbus Interim Superintendent Edna McGill's contract has been extended. However, the school board is not yet releasing the terms of her contract.
Columbus Convention and Visitors Bureau board meetings will continue to be monthly events. A motion to change CVB by-laws to require bi-monthly rather than monthly meetings failed in a 4-4 deadlock.
Columbus councilman Charlie Box is expected to request that his colleagues adjust the final deadline for items to be added to an agenda during today's recess meeting.
Local economic developers say an announcement could come as early as October in regard to a proposed $20 million investment by a data-processing company.
A Mississippi State student who claimed to be the victim of an attempted abduction near Sessums Hall last week has recanted her story and told university investigators she fabricated the incident, a MSU release states.
1. West Lowndes principal resigns COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. MSU Student Association slams religious freedom bill STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
3. Columbus cheer squads competing in national event COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Man charged after gun in church incident COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Pentagon targets air base surplus COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY