Columbus Mayor Robert Smith received a letter from Lawrence Transit System on Thursday stating that the private bus service could begin providing service to the city "within 30 days."
David Shaw, Mississippi State University's vice president for research and economic development, said growing interest in the second phase of expansions at the Thad Cochran Research, Technology and Economic Development Park could culminate into new partnerships next year.
Every customer of West Point Water & Light will be without electricity for roughly five hours tonight while the Tennessee Valley Authority does maintenance work.
In 2006, Starkville became the first municipality in Mississippi to adopt a smoke-free building ordinance. Columbus followed in 2010 with a partial ordinance. West Point has no such law on the books. But that might change.
Law enforcement officials are searching for answers after a 41-year-old man was found dead from an apparent gunshot and a 14-year-old suffered a self-inflicted stab wound in West Point on Thursday morning.
Starkville Police Department issued an arrest warrant Thursday for Deangelo Dewayne Manning, 18, of 406 Hancock Circle, after a drive-by shooting occurred on Henderson Hill.
1. Spears: CMSD tax hike unnecessary COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Higgins: $150 million project eying Lowndes Port COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. CPD officer involved in fight to go before city council COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. MSU horticulture student gains experience at Smith Landscaping COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Two sessions planned on proposed tax increases COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY