The Columbus City Council set the city's operating budget and millage for the next fiscal year Tuesday. City millage rates will remain 40.13 mills. The city also approved the millage for the school district, which is set at 65.87.
From one perspective, it might seem odd that the Ulysses S. Grant Presidential Library would be located in Mississippi, where Grant's siege of Vicksburg in July 1863 was a decisive moment in the defeat of the Confederate Army during the Civil War.
Sept. 11 victims' loved ones will gather at ground zero to commemorate the attacks' anniversary with the reading of names, moments of silence and serene music that have become tradition.
After a couple of years of wild, deadly and costly weather, the United States is mostly getting a lucky break this year. So far.
1. Affidavits: West Point man allegedly bound male victim, raped female STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
2. Area high school students earn national scholarships COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Weyerhaeuser to sell Columbus mills COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. 'Music 4 U' launching in Miss. this month COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. 12 county, city officials miss financial disclosure deadline STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY