Expect the light bill to go up. On Thursday, Tennessee Valley Authority announced a 1.5 percent base rate increase. Officials with the company said the increase will likely mean about an extra $18 a year coming out of consumers' pockets.
On Tuesday, when the Chicago Bears' team defense came off the board in about the sixth round, dismayed looks and frustrated comments filled the back of Old Venice's Burgundy Room. Shouting then filled the place after former Ole Miss linebacker Patrick Willis' name was announced a few rounds later. "That's too soon," shouted one football fantasy team manager.
Lowndes County Schools Superintendent Lynn Wright said he will appeal an appellate court's ruling that he was justly fired from his position as principal of New Hope High School in 2010.
Councilmen approved to split a five percent insurance rate increase between city funds and city employees during their Thursday budget session for the 2014 fiscal year due to a rise in dental coverage costs and claims experienced.
A packed Lowndes County courtroom greeted Mississippi 1st District Congressman Alan Nunnelee for a town hall meeting Thursday evening.
1. Early College High School grows in second year COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Mother arrested after newborn tests positive for drugs STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
3. CPD officer on paid leave after fight COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Fire destroys New Light Road home STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
5. 'Programming is problem solving': Local senior conducts STEM camp for girls COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY