Former Rep. Jesse Jackson Jr. was sentenced to 2 ½ years in prison Wednesday for illegally spending $750,000 in campaign funds on personal items, the judge scolding the son of the famed civil rights leader for using the money as a "piggy bank" and sentencing his wife to a year as well.
The state's case against accused murderer Brian Holliman continued Tuesday in Oktibbeha County Circuit Court. Holliman is accused of shooting and killing his wife, Laura Lee Godfrey Holliman, with a shotgun at their Caledonia home in 2008. Holliman maintains the shooting was an accident.
KiOR officials say they are considering building a second plant next to the current facility in Columbus.
Residents who may be affected by six permanent closings of railroad crossings in south Columbus can gather more information during a public hearing Thursday.
A Lowndes County man is in custody after discharging a weapon and barricading himself for more than an hour inside his New Hope residence Tuesday afternoon.
Next year's Columbus Spring Pilgrimage will last 16 days instead of the usual 12. Columbus-Lowndes Convention and Visitor's Bureau Executive Director Nancy Carpenter told tourism partners Tuesday that plans to capitalize on the success of the 2013 Pilgrimage led to the extension.
1. MSMS teacher wins national award for math, science teachers COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Bud and Burgers event canceled COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Dudy Noble video board to serve as first step in renovation STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
4. MUW planning new culinary arts building COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. County parks study complete COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY