Lowndes County's unemployment rate in August was 9.3 percent -- two tenths of a point up from August 2012, but the second lowest monthly showing in 2013 overall. That percentage represents an estimated 2,530 people actively looking for a job, according to statistics from the Mississippi Department of Employment Security.
By the end of the year the Golden Triangle Regional Airport will have repaved its taxiway and widened the exits and entrances to its runway. The renovation project will cost $3.43 million, according to Mike Hainsey, the airport's executive director.
Forty state attorneys general, including Mississippi's Jim Hood, co-signed a letter this week imploring the U.S. Food and Drug Administration to issue more-stringent regulations on electronic cigarette advertising, ingredients and sales by Oct. 31.
Oktibbeha County's unemployment rate in August was nearly 1 percent lower than July's estimate of 9.7. August's rate came in at 8.8 percent. That percentage represents an estimated 1,760 people actively looking for a job, according to statistics from the Mississippi Department of Employment Security.
1. Gregory resigns from Partnership leadership position STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
2. Columbus police seek bank fraud suspect COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Are ghosts haunting the Golden Triangle? COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. GSDP board silent on CEO resignation STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
5. Women entrepreneurs talk business COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY