Lowndes County will advertise for a new voting machine system that scans paper ballots. Supervisors passed a request from county purchasing clerk Terry Thompson to solicit bids by a 4-1 vote. Leroy Brooks was the only opposing vote.
Lowndes County supervisors unanimously agreed Monday to give the Columbus-Lowndes Recreation Authority no more than $37,000 to remove asbestos from the old Crawford Community Center. They'll mull their options on how best to demolish the dilapidated structure.
The Columbus Fire Department adopted the name Columbus Fire and Rescue when it changed its mission statement and badge seven years ago, but the change was never made official.
A 14-year-old West Point boy will be charged as an adult in the shooting death of his father.
At least two Commission on Starkville Consolidated School District Structure members will answer questions about the group's merger plan at 7 p.m. Wednesday during a Twitter town hall event, Starkville School District officials confirmed.
A $6 million bond intent notice for road construction and maintenance projects failed Monday after receiving little support from the Oktibbeha County Board of Supervisors.
1. Dead bald eagle found in Columbus appears to have been shot COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Supervisors approve legal, hospital consultant's contracts STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
3. No one charged after child left alone at hotel COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Veterinarian questions eagle's cause of death COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Hainsey still optimistic about acquiring westbound air service COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY