A Columbus man could face charges in the drowning deaths of two of his children. The Columbus Police Department will present the case of Billy Wayne Brown to the grand jury in November, CPD Chief Selvain McQueen confirmed Wednesday.
A millage increase is not likely in Columbus next year as city leadership and department heads turned an $860,836.75 deficit into a $34,817.53 surplus after a budget workshop Wednesday.
Mississippi State University officials confirmed Wednesday that Yokohama Tire will locate its operations at the Thad Cochran Research, Technology and Economic Development Park while the first phase of construction for the Japanese tire manufacturing company's Clay County facility takes place.
Before Starkville aldermen approached an almost 3-mill tax increase for rising expenses Tuesday, the board, spearheaded by Ward 6 Alderman Roy A. Perkins, approved a motion to increase Starkville Parks Commission's operating budget annually by almost $96,000.
Former Rep. Jesse Jackson Jr. was sentenced to 2 ½ years in prison Wednesday for illegally spending $750,000 in campaign funds on personal items, the judge scolding the son of the famed civil rights leader for using the money as a "piggy bank" and sentencing his wife to a year as well.
The state's case against accused murderer Brian Holliman continued Tuesday in Oktibbeha County Circuit Court. Holliman is accused of shooting and killing his wife, Laura Lee Godfrey Holliman, with a shotgun at their Caledonia home in 2008. Holliman maintains the shooting was an accident.
KiOR officials say they are considering building a second plant next to the current facility in Columbus.
1. Father of woman charged with providing New Hope teen alcohol speaks out COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Hilton: Hospital report filled with misleading data STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
3. Accident leads to numerous charges for Starkville man STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
4. Columbus honors four outstanding citizens COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. City hires public defender for Municipal Court COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY