The Columbus city council approved a loan from Mississippi Development Bank to finance the cost of Trotter Convention Center renovations Tuesday.
Mississippi had the highest share of its residents in poverty: 22 percent
Columbus Interim Superintendent Edna McGill's contract has been extended. However, the school board is not yet releasing the terms of her contract.
Columbus Convention and Visitors Bureau board meetings will continue to be monthly events. A motion to change CVB by-laws to require bi-monthly rather than monthly meetings failed in a 4-4 deadlock.
Columbus councilman Charlie Box is expected to request that his colleagues adjust the final deadline for items to be added to an agenda during today's recess meeting.
Local economic developers say an announcement could come as early as October in regard to a proposed $20 million investment by a data-processing company.
1. Man shot on 7th Avenue Tuesday afternoon COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. City, store owner clash after Tuesday shooting COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Mayor seeks moratorium at Princess COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Lawyers, adviser crafting RFP for Oktibbeha's hospital STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
5. CPD makes arrest in Princess Theater shooting case COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY