The town of Caledonia is getting a new water and sewage department head. Barrett Baggett, chosen to be the department's new superintendent, is slated to begin work on Nov. 18. He will take over for Benny Coleman, who is retiring early next year.
Thirty days means 30 days. By a 3-2 vote, the Columbus City Council approved a request from Lawrence Transit System for a 30-day extension to begin bus service to the city. The vote came during Tuesday's council meeting. With the vote, the council stipulated that if the buses aren't rolling by Dec. 6, the city's contract with LTS is null and void.
Stacey Pickering talks in terms of numbers, stats, percentages. Of course, in his role as the state auditor -- essentially he is Mississippi's top accountant -- Pickering's affinity for reducing the world to data is understandable.
1. Convictions for police officer defendants rare COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. New Columbus Arts Council director looks for more long-term donations COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. The Book of Joe: LINK CEO Higgins enlists ghostwriter to work on book project COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Police identify armed robbery suspect COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Officials respond to voting concerns at Union precinct COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY