Lowndes County Schools Superintendent Lynn Wright said he will appeal an appellate court's ruling that he was justly fired from his position as principal of New Hope High School in 2010.
Councilmen approved to split a five percent insurance rate increase between city funds and city employees during their Thursday budget session for the 2014 fiscal year due to a rise in dental coverage costs and claims experienced.
A packed Lowndes County courtroom greeted Mississippi 1st District Congressman Alan Nunnelee for a town hall meeting Thursday evening.
The Lowndes County Fair had about 3,000 attendees in 2011. That number jumped to nearly 5,000 last year and if you ask Jane Burns Jordan, the president of the Columbus Fair and Livestock Association, the reason for the increase is clear. "We brought livestock back," she said.
Twenty-six Oktibbeha County residents took to the Greensboro Center's auditorium stage Thursday with various concerns about an impending school merger, but the heart of their message was the same: consolidation provides an unprecedented opportunity to better educational efforts for all area children.
Two of the Golden Triangle's main cities - Starkville and Columbus - saw a decline in June sales tax collections, while West Point's returns marked a slight gain for the city.
1. Local pilot gets 10 months in British jail for alcohol COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Mother of downtown shooting suspect jailed for allegedly threatening witness COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. City: Law supports slashing businesses' hours COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Little: Aldermen 'overreach' in handling officer incident STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
5. Perception and reality: Downtown business owners grapple with fallout from shooting COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY