Columbus councilmen and the mayor held their first budget workshop Thursday at City Hall and learned the value of a mill is expected to remain at $170,000 for the upcoming fiscal year.
The Postal Service takes pictures of every piece of mail processed in the United States -- 160 billion last year -- and keeps them on hand for up to a month.
Companies have all but stopped laying off workers. They just aren't hiring many. When the government issues the July employment report Friday, it will likely show another solid month of job growth. But the job gain can be misleading because it's a net figure: The number of people hired minus the number who lose or quit jobs.
A conference travel receipt sparked a heated discussion between long-time political rivals Leroy Brooks and Harry Sanders during the Lowndes County Board of Supervisors meeting Wednesday, resulting in Brooks saying he would take the board to court, if necessary.
City officials have not made clear when, or if, they will formally post a notice requesting proposals from firms for the city engineer position.
When students and teachers begin the 2013 school year Wednesday, they will encounter several changes in the Lowndes County School District. Block scheduling, one of the biggest changes that will be implemented in the district, will begin this term.
Sealed bids for the access road, rail spur and loading pad portions of the expansion for the Mississippi Steel Processing plant in Lowndes County were opened during Wednesday's county supervisors' meeting.
1. Dead bald eagle found in Columbus appears to have been shot COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Supervisors approve legal, hospital consultant's contracts STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
3. No one charged after child left alone at hotel COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Veterinarian questions eagle's cause of death COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Hainsey still optimistic about acquiring westbound air service COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY