Starkville aldermen formally motioned a $10,000 budget cut to the Mississippi Horse Park on Tuesday after the organization requested its annual allotment increased from $50,000 to $70,000.
Columbus councilmen will determine Tuesday which architectural/engineering firm will renovate the Trotter Convention Center and how much money they'll receive to do the project.
He crossed the stage inside the Kaye Auditorium at Columbus Air Force Base just like his classmates, but 2nd Lt. Jon Koritz did something special Friday. When Koritz, a 27-year-old from Chapel Hill, N.C., became one of the 23 newest pilots in the U.S. Air Force, he followed in his father's footsteps -- literally.
Supervisors gave Lowndes County Volunteer Fire Department the OK on Thursday to begin the process of building a new station on Jess Lyons Road. The first step will be to solicit estimates on having the current one demolished before seeking bids on a contractor to build the new station on the same site.
Some recent discussions about the Mississippi statehood bicentennial celebration in 2017 brought to mind that 2017 is also the bicentennial of the first house built in Columbus. In 1817, Mississippi was admitted to the Union as the 20th state and settlers were moving into the newly-opened upper Tombigbee River valley.
1. Middle school mourning death of student STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
2. Anti-McQueen ads could violate state law COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Candidates attack absent mayor at forum COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Woman faces child endangerment charge COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Mayoral candidates trade barbs COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY