JACKSON — The Mississippi House approved giving $14 million to renovate the Columbus and Greenville Railway line that’s been closed between West Point and Greenwood since 2001.
JACKSON — Leaders of the Democratic-controlled House are hankering to override the governor and accept millions of dollars being offered by the federal economic bailout package to pay extra benefits to people losing their jobs.
JACKSON — The state Senate passed a bill last week to let Jackson increase the sales tax there to improve streets and crime-fighting efforts but declined to give all Mississippi cities and counties that option to raise revenues for their high-priority needs.
Noxubee among four cash-strapped districts to benefit
JACKSON — At least $1.5 billion for Mississippi is in the economic stimulus bill Congress passed Friday to upgrade roads and help states avert budget cuts for schools, Medicaid and other programs crippled by the country’s financial collapse.
Delynn and Sue Burkhalter, of Columbus, wanted an improved view of the Mississippi State football games, so they decided to tackle a huge project.
1. 3 die in Lowndes County crash COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. No-jangles: Starkville Bojangles closes STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
3. Hickman begins his first day as Columbus schools superintendent COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Jurors hear 911 tape as Quinn murder trial begins STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
5. Photo: No fuel, no rocket COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY